A legislation in New York is pushing sportsbooks to adopt a rule that would protect bettors on any prop markets affected by injury within the playing time of the game.
A 11414, introduced by Assemblymember Jordan Wright, would require sportsbooks to void bets involving injured or withdrawn players instead of grading them as losses. The proposal is one of several recently introduced measures aimed at increasing oversight of the state’s sports betting industry.
Billboard advertising and mobile betting on college campuses also targeted
Two bills introduced by New York Sen. Nathalia Fernandez would ban billboard advertising for several vice-like products, including gambling, across the state. The measures, introduced May 15 and sent to the Consumer Protection Committee, would apply to both traditional and digital billboards visible from public spaces.
The legislation broadly defines gambling advertising to include casino gaming, sports wagering, fantasy sports, lotteries and sweepstakes promotions. If approved, the restrictions would place sportsbook and casino advertising under the same outdoor marketing limitations currently applied to alcohol and nicotine products.
Meanwhile, a bill introduced by New York Sen. Andrew Gounardes would ban mobile sports betting on college campuses to reduce gambling exposure among students and limit academic distractions. New York already prohibits betting on in-state college teams and college player prop bets.
The proposal follows comprehensive responsible gambling efforts in the state, including a plan backed by Gov. Kathy Hochul to introduce biometric logins for sportsbook accounts to help prevent underage gambling. Similar restrictions on sports betting advertising near college students already exist in states including Illinois, Massachusetts and Ohio.
Late last year, New York Attorney General Letiitia banned Sweepstakes Casinos from operating within the state.
Concerns around industry response, should sports betting injury bill pass
The proposal would shift more financial risk from bettors to sportsbooks by requiring operators to void wagers tied to injured or withdrawn players. Supporters say the measure could strengthen consumer protections and improve confidence in New York’s regulated betting market.
However, the bill could also produce unintended consequences if sportsbooks respond by limiting certain wagers, particularly player prop bets involving athletes returning from injury. Industry observers say bettors seeking broader betting options could turn to offshore sportsbooks that face fewer restrictions.
Unlike licensed operators, offshore sportsbooks do not provide the same consumer safeguards and do not contribute tax revenue to the state, potentially undermining New York’s regulated sports betting market.
Last year, the American Gaming Association (AGA)estimated Americans spent $673.6 billion annually through illegal and unregulated gambling operators, a market the group says has grown 22% since 2022. The report estimated illegal gambling generates about $53.9 billion in annual revenue for offshore sportsbooks and unregulated gaming machines while costing states roughly $15.3 billion in lost tax revenue each year.
At the time, AGA President and CEO Bill Miller said: “Illegal gambling operators are thriving at the expense of American consumers, siphoning billions in tax revenue from state governments, and undercutting the efforts of the legal market. It’s time for a national crackdown on the pervasive illegal market that is draining state coffers and putting people at risk.”
Casino open for business in New York City
Meanwhile, last month saw the grand opening of Resorts World in the Big Apple to become the first of three new land-based casinos to open under a brand-new licence. It comes more than a decade after state voters approved expanded casino gambling.
The casino, owned by Genting Group, secured one of three downstate casino licenses ahead of bids from companies including Wynn Resorts, Las Vegas Sands, Caesars Entertainment and MGM Resorts International.
Resorts World was able to launch first because it already operated a highly profitable slots and electronic gaming venue adjacent to Aqueduct Racetrack and near John F. Kennedy International Airport.
The company saw off competing bids from gambling behemoths including Wynn Resorts and Las Vegas Sands. State officials estimate the three casinos could generate about $7 billion in gaming tax revenue over the next decade, while real estate services firm CBRE Group projects annual gaming revenue could reach as much as $5.6 billion under a bullish scenario.
Speaking at the time, Kevin Jones, chief strategy officer of Resorts World New York, said: “We are changing the landscape of New York forever with a building that will never close.”












